Saturday, September 25, 2010

Yay I Finished It! -- Top of Utah Marathon 2010

I finished marathon #4 for this year. I love to run the Top of Utah Marathon. It is one of my favorites. This was my third year running it and each time I have improved. After my injury, I was pretty worried about even being able to run this marathon. In the month of August I only ran a total of about 30-35 miles. I was pretty worried, I knew I could run it by September but my cardio had gone down quite a bit. Biking helped a little but not much. What helped the most was seeing a great sports medicine dr that knew exactly what to do and to get me through this. We were pretty agressive the month of September. I went to physical therapy and did under water treadmill running twice a week. I did two long runs outside in September so I felt I was good to go.
The thing with plica syndrome is the more miles you run, the better your knee feels. (That is if you can get past the first 3 or so). By mile 13 by knee no longer hurt, but by mile 17-18 the muscle cramps started so I ran this marathon pretty much in pain the whole time.
I finished the marathon in 3:47:16. which the dr thinks is pretty darn good to have a goal to just finish it.
My reason for finishing this was because I am planning on running the St. George marathon on Oct 2nd. I didn't make the lottery into the St. George marathon this year but I made it into the Grand Slam, so the St George marathon in one of the required marathons to earn the title of a Slammer. The catch is as long as I run the other required marathons, they have to guarantee my entry into the St. George. (That is why all I had to do was to finish this marathon.)
So watch out #5 here I come!

No comments: